Morris Catholic High School » Students » Student Working Papers

Student Working Papers

The way teens obtain working papers in New Jersey will be changing on June 1, 2023!

Thanks to a new law, the working papers process will be online and streamlined. Rather than going through local schools, younger workers will simply visit this site and be walked through a few easy steps.



Until June 1, 2023 You can get your working papers below.

All minors under the age of 18 who work in New Jersey must have an employment certificate, also known as “working papers,” or a special permit (for agriculture, newspaper carrier, or theatrical employment).

Currently, an employment certificate is required for each employer.

Please note: The requirements for work authorization for workers under 18 will change effective 06/01/2023.


Step 1 – Complete the ‘Minor’s Personal Information’ section: You (the young worker) should complete this section of the form. Note that the parent should not sign the form until after getting the employer’s signature.

Step 2 – Complete the ‘Employment Information’ section: Next, your employer should complete the “Employment Information” section, and sign the Promise of Employment.

Step 3 – ‘Physician’s Certification’ section: You (the young worker) must get a physical examination or a doctor’s note. The school district handles the physical examination at no cost to you. A physical administered by a school in the 9th grade is good for four years, unless school district policy says otherwise. If your parent or guardian prefers a doctor other than the one employed by your school district to examine you, they may do so at their own expense. You are not required to get a physical if a parent or guardian makes a written objection based on religious beliefs and practices.

Step 4 – Provide ‘Proof of Age’ to the Issuing Officer: You (the young worker) will be required to provide the Issuing Officer with proof of age documentation, such as a:

  • birth certificate,
  • passport, or
  • baptismal certificate.

Step 5 – Complete the ‘School Record’ section at school attended by minor: Next, you bring the completed form to your school district for review. A designated school official will issue working papers if they decide that working conditions and hours will not interfere with your education. If you are home-schooled, attend private school, or are from outside of NJ, you must bring your completed form to the school district of the area where you’ll be working.

Step 6 – Obtain ‘Issuing Officer Certification’: Finally, the Issuing Officer will decide whether working conditions follow NJ Child Labor Laws, and, if satisfied, will issue an employment certificate. The officer may refuse to issue working papers if the refusal is in your best interest.



Note: The requirements for these special permits for will change effective 06/01/2023.

If you are a minor, depending on your age, and whether you will be working in agriculture, newspaper carriers, or theatrical employment, you may need to get a special permit (A310 Combined Certification Form for Agriculture, Newspaper Carrier, Street Trades or Theatrical Employment).

You must obtain this permit from the Issuing Officer of the local school district where you live. If you are not a New Jersey resident, you can get the A310 special permit from the district where you got a promise of employment.


  • Minimum age: 12 years old
  • 12 to 15 years old: must obtain a special agriculture permit

Newspaper Carriers

  • Minimum age: 11 years old
    11 to 15 years old: must obtain a special newspaper carrier permit
    16 and 17 years old: must obtain an employment certificate


  • Minimum age: none
  • Under 16 years old: must obtain a special theatrical permit
  • 16 and 17 years old: must obtain an employment certificate