NOTE: Each year, the cost to transport a student to Morris Catholic is more than any individual family’s transportation contribution. Our subsidy is in line with Morris Catholic’s mission to provide an excellent, cost-effective, Catholic Education in the Diocese of Paterson. With the rising costs of transportation (a nationwide challenge), we have implemented a new zoning/cost system. With this new system, families would incur an additional cost outside of our normal service area (Morris County). We will continue to work towards reducing the cost associated with transportation, but this new system allows us to provide the best service while minimizing Morris Catholic's transportation subsidy. We continue to encourage our families to consider the train and carpooling as a less expensive alternative to bus transportation.
Please contact our transportation coordinator, Ms. Maureen Costello email@example.com or (973) 627-6674, ext.324, with any questions.
2020/2021 MCHS Bus and Train - Transportation Information
Morris Catholic’s bus model is a community based model very similar to our sister schools:
- No student is picked up at his or her home. However, our pick up locations are typically within .5- 5 miles from your home. Many pick up locations are not within walking distance.
- Run times vary. Student’s trips can take from 15 minutes to an hour (or more in some locations). Most student run times are somewhere in the middle.
What are my transportation options?
- TRAIN - Take the train to the Denville train station where our shuttle bus will then take you to MCHS (and reverse the trip in the PM).
- The train is an easy and efficient way for students to travel to MCHS.
- Westbound stations include - Hoboken, Newark Broad Street, Oranges, Summit, Chatham, Madison, Morristown, Morris Plains, and Mount Tabor.
- Eastbound stations include – Hackettstown, Mount Olive, Mount Arlington, Netcong, Lake Hopatcong, and Dover.
- MCHS BUS SERVICE - In Zone 1 and 2 (see Busing options) students will be picked up somewhere close to your home ( .5 to 5 miles) by our contracted bus or van service (and reversed in the PM).
- There is no option for a half year or one way service. When we contract with the bus company, they only provide a full year service.
Do I receive aid in lieu (via the B6T form) from my town or possibly courtesy busing? What are the next steps?
- The vast majority of students receive aid in lieu from their towns, which will help you to offset your transportation costs. You will need to check with your Board of Education if you have any questions. The aid in lieu amount in 2018/2019 was $1000.
- You will find the aid in lieu B6T form online with the registration information. This form must be printed off and sent to MCHS, Attention: Mrs. Nancy Fitzgerald, 200 Morris Ave, Denville, NJ 07834 by March 2nd. This form will be registered and then forwarded to MC’s Transportation Coordinator – see below (Maureen Costello ext. 324). It is critical that your B6T form identifies your resident Board of Education…not your county. Typically this is the public high school that your child would have attended. Please call your board if you are not sure as the wrong Board of Ed designation will jeopardize your aid in lieu.
- Courtesy busing is also a local town decision. If your town provides courtesy busing for your child, you cannot receive aid in lieu (e.g. Hanover Park school system) nor MC bussing.
Costs - all costs listed below are for 2020/2021 school year – as outlined in the Tuition & Fees document:
All students, regardless if you are taking the bus or train, need to fill out the transportation form/option on the registration portal.
1. MCHS Train Shuttle (from the Denville Train Station) cost is $700.
In addition, NJ Transit discounts are available for students. Please obtain the form from the train station and MCHS will provide you with the school seal in order to obtain the discounted monthly pass.
2. MCHS Busing options (round trip pricing) :
- Zone 1= $2,650:
- All of Morris County except (from Denville):
- Beyond Chester
- Beyond New Vernon
- Includes town of Hopatcong
- Includes Essex County up to West Orange (from Denville)
- Zone 2= $3,450:
Note: Zone 2 students can come to a zone 1 location (our coordinator can help you with this location).
- Morris County beyond (from Denville):
- New Vernon
- Hackettstown (in Warren County)
- Passaic County
- Essex County beyond West Orange (from Denville)
- Morris County beyond (from Denville):
- Zone 3 – No pick up locations.
Note: Zone 3 students can come to a zone 1 or zone 2 location (our coordinator can help you with this location).
- Sussex County (except Hopatcong – zone 1)
- Warren County (except Hackettstown – zone 2)
- All other counties
There is no option for a half year or one way service. All options require that a $500 non-refundable deposit be sent to Mrs. D'Agosta in the MCHS Tuition and Fees office by May 30, 2019. If you have not done so by this date, your name will not be considered for transportation or you will have to wait till after the freeze period to be considered.
Busing is very expensive and the cost we receive from our students does not cover our transportation budget. Every student will need to be subsidized by MCHS.
When will I know where my pickup location (bus route) is?
- All student addresses MUST be their pick up address not their mailing address.
- Not until we identify all possible bus/train riders (late registering students, transfers, international students), which typically does not get finalized until early to mid August.
- We have to wait until all students are identified for the bus company to efficiently determine the bus routes. For example, if a late registering student is added after the route is decided, it can change the entire route and pick up times.
Can I car pool instead of using a bus/van?
- Yes, we have lists of MCHS students from every town and are happy to share this information with families that request it. Recently, MC families have had a lot of success carpooling.
Who is the transportation coordinator at MCHS?
- MCHS Transportation Coordinator – Maureen Costello
- Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone - (973) 627-6674 ext 324
Bus schedules – regular and exceptions:
- In the P.M., buses do not typically leave MC (except the train shuttle - around 2:50) until 3:15. This gives our students a chance to see their teachers and/or to participate in extracurricular activities after school.
- School delay due to snow/elements - the announced MC delay, is the same for the bus delay. E.g. If school is delayed 2 hours, then the bus schedule is delayed 2 hours.
- Early dismissal due to weather/etc. – Buses will run 20 minutes after the time we are dismissed as announced by our principal.